How to check Engine Oil
For the practical test, the Tell Me/Show me question :-
Please open the bonnet, identify where you would check the engine oil level and tell me how you would check that the engine has sufficient oil.
What you have to do :-
Identify dipstick / oil level indicator, describe check of oil level against the minimum/maximum marker.
Caution! Oil Level should be checked regularly. Using too little or too much oil can damage the engine.
It is normal to add some oil between maintenance intervals depending on the severity of the operating conditions.
1. Park the vehicle on level ground and apply the handbrake.
2. Run the engine until it reaches operating temperature.
3. Turn off the engine. Wait a few minutes for the oil to drain back into the oil pan.
4. Remove the dipstick and wipe it clean with a dry cloth. Re-insert it fully.
5. Remove the dipstick again and check the oil level. It should be between the "H" and "L" marks. If the oil is below the "L" mark, remove the oil filler cap and pour recommended oil through the opening. Do not overfill. or you'll be burning it off, creating unwanted exhaust smoke. Worse, it could blow an oil seal.
6. Recheck oil level with dipstick.
The video below shows the steps you need to take when checking the oil levels of your car.
Back to the Maintenance list
SHARE THIS PAGE